In an effort to eat healthy, but still tasty, food, the mister and I experiment a lot, mostly with left over ingredients found in our pantry and fridge. One evening, while he was listing off everything we had in the house, I thought to find a recipe for fish and avocado. That lead me to the inspiration of Fish Tacos. Which led to this super spicy recipe we half came up with, half based off of this delicious recipe. Officially I should call ours . . .
Beer-Battered Fish Tacos with Spicy Tomato and Mango Salsa
*Though I much prefer when my fish is labeled “drunk” as I can better relate to it*
8 ounces mahi-mahi fillet, cut into 1-inch strips or cubes
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup beer (I used Walgreens brand “Big Flats” which you can get for around $3/6 pack and it’s great for cooking!)
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin (I added a little more than an 1/8. I love cumin!)
1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 medium-sized mango, skinned and cut into 1-inch strips
Half a medium-sized green pepper, diced
1 or 2 tomatoes, remove the guts, and dice
1 packet of spicy salsa mix seasoning
1 can of black beens with jalapeños.
- Mix the mango, tomato, green pepper and spicy salsa mix packet together with a drizzle of olive oil. Set aside to let it marinate.
- Combine the cumin, salt and flour in a bowl. Whisk in the beer.
- Add the fish strips or cubes to the batter, generously coating each piece. Add to a hot pan with olive oil, and cook through. This only took about 3-5 minutes with a hot-hot pan.
- Keep fish warm in aluminum foil while cooking. Warm up the tortillas on the stove or in the microwave right before serving.
- And assemble! We use the can of beans to add to the tacos, as well as have on the side. If you need some leafiness to your tacos, try spinach or kale!
Health Nut Tip // Remember, you could always cut out some carbs by assembling without the tortilla, and replacing with a piece of lettuce.
I don’t have any good pictures, here’s a picture of a drunken fish:
And beware, salsa gets increasingly hotter as it sits over night—we found this out the hard way at lunch the next day.
Tweet About This:
- I’m not the only one getting drunk in the kitchen tonight: Super Spicy Drunken Fish Tacos by @amruggs http://bit.ly/1HVAtKM #recipe
- Need #dinnerinspiration? Try these Super Spicy Drunken Fish Tacos by @amruggs http://bit.ly/1HVAtKM #recipe #yum